Sunday, May 20, 2012

"Stories on the Sabbath"


                                                            "On the Lord's Errand"

Money was rather tight, and I thought I could help if I found some part-time work.  I read an ad in the paper that sounded like it might fit the bill, and soon I found myself attending a "group interview."  By the end of the evening I knew that this job would not be our solution.  However, during the break I visited with a young married couple who had just moved to our town.  The wife was five months pregnant with their first child.
Once the interview was over, I told the young couple that while I was sure it wasn't their habit to ride with strangers, under the circumstances they might want me to drive them home.  The husband hesitated, looked at his weary wife, and then accepted.
We chatted casually on the way to the apartment complex where they said they were staying with friends.  I told them that after having five children, I had quite a few baby things I would be happy to give them.  They seemed pleased and thanked me.
They requested that I drop them off in the parking lot.  I asked them for a phone number so I could bring some baby things back to them.  I wrote their number on a piece of paper, wished them well, and drove home to my family.
On the way home, I came to the conclusion that the reason I had been drawn to the interview was probably so I could help this young couple.  As I told my husband about the events of the day, I received a very strong impression to prepare a "care package" of food for them.  I felt there would be plenty of time later to get the baby things to them, but for now I couldn't ignore this prompting.
The following day I started working to put together the package.  Our own cupboards were a little on the empty side as we waited for our next payday, but I gathered what I could.  Then I called several neighbors and enlisted their help.  Before long I had gathered four boxes of food and household supplies, including some delicious homemade bread and jam.  It looked wonderful!
I called the number this couple had given me, only to find that the person who answered had no idea who I was talking about.  "Well," I thought, "I must have transposed the numbers somehow.  I'll just drive over there and find them."
Excitement ran through me as I thought of how thrilled this young couple would be to see all the food I had for them.  Maybe I could even share the gospel with them.  As I drove to where I had dropped them off, contentment filled my soul.  It felt so good to be on "the Lord's errand."
The manager of the apartment complex refused to give me any information, which definitely interfered with my plans.  Not to be dissuaded, I drove around the parking lot looking for this couple for nearly an hour.  I prayed earnestly as I tried to find them.  I even drove to a nearby shopping center and looked around.
My face was hot with tears of frustration as I finally pulled into my driveway.  I told my husband of my efforts.  He said not to worry about it, I had done my best.  But I knew the Lord had TOLD me to prepare this care package, so I insisted that my husband help me try to find them.  Because of his love for me, he drove me back across town.
We had about the same experience together that I had had on my own.  I couldn't understand it.  Why would the Lord instruct me to put together this food, and then make it impossible to deliver?
Jim and I drove home in gloomy silence.  We had no sooner pulled into the driveway than I had a new surge of hope.  My husband stayed home this time, but I drove back across town yet another time.  I was convinced that this time the Lord would help me find "my" couple.  No such luck!
Parked by the side of the road, tears streaming down my face, I pleaded with the Lord. "I KNOW that thou instructed me to put together this food!"  Then, ever so quietly, a clear voice came into my heart and mind, saying, "Yes, my daughter, I instructed you to put together this food.  Now, be still and I will tell you who it is for."  I was shocked.  Instead of being so frantic to do what I thought was most important, I sat quietly.  Almost instantly the name of a couple, our very good friends, came into my mind.  I knew that they had been struggling, but it hadn't occurred to me to take them anything special.
I drove slowly home, then gave my friend Louise a call.  "Louise, this is Stephanie," I said.  "This may sound strange, but I have several boxes of food in my trunk, and I think they belong to you." 
Stunned silence.  "What did you say?" she cautiously asked.
"Well, I felt impressed to put some food together today, and I think it's for you," I repeated.
"Just a minute," she replied.  She was gone from the phone for a couple of minutes.  When she returned, she told me that she had had to stop her husband, who was on his way to the store with their tithing money.  They had been out of food for a couple of days, and had finally decided to use the only money in the house to buy food.
As I joyfully drove to my friends' house, I reflected on how, in our eagerness to be "on the Lord's errand," we sometimes actually get in his way.  The Lord had told me to put some food together, but I was the one who had decided it was for the elusive couple.  The Lord had other plans.  In my determination to do what I thought was needed, I almost missed  a wonderful opportunity to bless the lives of some very dear friends. 
The words of a very familiar scripture came to mind: "The Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them" (1 Nephi 3:7).  It all made sense now. The Lord had used my service to prepare a way for this family to accomplish the thing which was commanded of them.  I felt truly humbled to have been an instrument in his hand.
Louise met me at the door with a hug.  Then, arm in arm, we went to my car to bring in the food the Lord had wanted them to have in the first place.


                                                                                    --Stephanie Abney, mother of five
  (By Small and Simple Things)

No comments:

Post a Comment