Sunday, December 23, 2012

"Stories on the Sabbath" - Apple Of Love

We have a Tradition in my Tenney extended family called,  'The Apple of Love'.
Here is the story behind how this tradition began.


My great grandpa, Samuel Benjamin Tenney had been very hurt when his daughter, Ida ran away and married Uncle Todd the cowboy. However the first Christmas she was away from home she sent a box of delicious red apples and expressed her love for Grandpa and her love for her husband who was a fine man.
                                 (Ida in black dress on the right of Grandpa Tenney)

It was also at this time that the Saints were being driven out of Old Mexico. General Pancho Villa, head of the rebels in Mexico had driven the Americans from their comfortable homes.  Many of them had to flee for their lives, some of them left with only 15 minutes notice. Grandpa’s brother, Ammon M. Tenney was in Mexico with one of his wives and children. Grandpa was very concerned for his safety.

Uncle Ammon came from the Colonies through Douglas where Grandpa lived. He arrived at about the same time as the apples arrived from Aunt Ida. Grandpa, being a very tender hearted and forgiving man, his heart was touched.  He was so grateful for the uniting of his brother’s family and the love of his daughter, Ida, that when the apples arrived he wept. After the banquet, he served the apples and christened them the 'Apples of Love'.

He gathered the family around and related both incidents and said, “With all my heart I forgive my daughter, Ida for any offence against me. And I thank My Heavenly Father for the safe return of my brother and his family”.

He then cut the biggest apple into slices and said, “The whole is made of many parts, just as our family is. However forgiveness is the adhesive that puts families back together. And now I’m going to serve these apple pieces to each of you. Will you each in your hearts forgive anyone in the family who has offended you in anyway, just as I forgive my beloved daughter, Ida?"

It was Grandpa's desire that every member of his family serve the ‘Apple of Love’ at Christmas time and as we eat, have a desire in our hearts to promote more LOVE, more UNDERSTANDING and FORGIVENESS for all mankind and especially for our immediate family.

For many years I remember having the 'Apple of Love' at Christmas time as we gathered together with all of our cousins.  As years have gone by and we've all grown up, we now look forward to this special tradition at our family reunions.

                                                             *****

My Aunt Dode and cousin Princess put together a special song, entitled 'The Apple of Love'.



I want to share this special message with you this Christmas.
If you have any bad feelings towards anyone you love, 
Please forgive them so that the love of the Savior 
can bless both of your lives.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment