Saturday, December 22, 2012

Our Romney Christmas Traditions

When I was a little girl, every Christmas morning we would wake up with great excitement to open all of our presents.  However, we had a special tradition that we did BEFORE any presents were ever even touched!  We all gathered in a line, youngest to oldest and walked into the living room singing a very special song, written by my Grandma Vilate Lee Romney.  

We lived in Arizona and most of my Romney relatives lived in Utah.  Because of finances we didn't get to see them very often.  One Christmas my grandma mailed us a "record" with her talking to us and singing this very special song.  I can still picture that black record and oh how I loved hearing grandma's voice.  I must have listened to it hundreds of times, because I still have the words she said to us memorized.  Below are the words in BLUE that my grandma said on the record, and then below that, is a sound clip of my grandma actually singing this special song, "Wish you Merry Christmas" to us all.  

"At this glorious Christmas time, my heart is full of love and appreciation for you and all my blessings.  It seems but yesterday that you were just my little children.  Eagerly anticipating the thrill of Christmas morning.  It seems that I can hear your father say, "The fire in the fireplace is crackling hot mother."  Then Sankie blows the whistle and what a scampering down the stairway, then you call, "Merry Christmas".   Then listen we hear.... (click on the link below to listen to my sweet Grandma Romney)



After she finished singing, she ended with these words that we have quoted through the years.

"A very Merry Christmas to you all.  May peace fill your heart, 
and may the Love of Him, whose birth we celebrate, abide in your home."
All my love,  Mother

Now, fast forward 20 years later, and I am a mother with 5 growing children.  What has happened to this special Christmas morning tradition?  Watch this video clip and see for yourself.


As you can see, the tradition is still alive in my family, however I have a family of non-singers.  Too bad I don't have a clip of some of my sister's families who harmonize and make the song actually sound beautiful!

Below is a clip of when some of my kids were older and married.  The tradition is passed on yet a another generation, with the birth of my first grand daughter, Allie.



So here you have it, FIVE GENERATIONS of family passing on this special Christmas Tradition.

Wish you Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas all.
May the richest blessings, ever on you fall.
Every year be brighter, than the one before.
And your Christmas mornings many, many more.

Wish you merry, merry, merry, merry, merry, merry, merry, merry, merry merry, Christmas all.
Wish you merry, merry, merry, merry, merry, merry, merry, merry, merry merry, Christmas all!

Yep, that's right, there are ten different Merry's!  
Bet you've never been wished that many
Merry's before!  :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment