Sunday, July 15, 2012

"Stories on the Sabbath"

"Over ten years ago, my husband was working at a startup company and we had been waiting on a large amount of money from a potential investor for months.  Our van had been experiencing some major mechanical problems.  Finally after we had just put another $400.00 into it, we decided that it had seen its better days and that we were not going to put any more money into it.  Besides, we were being very optimistic that by the end of the year the money would be in.  There were AMAZING sales at almost every car dealership.  Some were offering 0% interest for 5 years.  Others were promoting no tax and 0% interest.  It was very apparent that NOW was the time to buy that new car that we wanted.  But there was only one problem - no money.  As the days drug on, our van drug on too, barely.  Then it started to make some noise in the engine, and then shake at various times.  Then the "check engine" light began flashing when these other things would take place.  I knew that our van was on its way to the big car graveyard in the sky.  But, the question was, could it hold on just long enough for us to get the money?  “Van, how much do you love us?  Can you hold on?  How much faith do you have?” 
            Well, I guess I am making light of a situation that seemed quite dismal at the time.  One day as I was driving, the "check engine" light came on and all these little strange sounds started.  I had this pit in my stomach.  I was clear across town and I did NOT want to be stranded.  I quietly bowed my head as I drove (I kept one eye open) and asked Heavenly Father to please bless this van to hold together for us.  I reminded him in my mind that he was aware of our financial situation and we really needed this van to hang in there until we could get another car.  From that time on, the van drove like a champ.  Days went by and the sound would start up again and the light would come on and I would just increase my faith. 
            I wanted my children to be aware of the miracle that the Lord was performing in our behalf.  And so, every time I was in the car with any of them and the sound and light came on, I would say, "Do you guys realize the miracle that is taking place right before your eyes?  This van is ready to fall apart - look over here at this light.  But Heavenly Father will not let it happen until the money comes in.  I know it.  I believe that as sure as I am sitting here.  Boy, I can't wait to see what's going to happen.  We are going to get the call that the money is here and I will go out to get in the van and it will fall apart instantly.  I can see the fender, the side panel, and the doors all laying on the driveway as I walk out.  It will be an amazing sight.  Yes even a Kodak moment!"  I would give that same speech to the kids and their friends or whomever was in the van with me whenever the light would come on.  It was as if I wanted Satan to know that he couldn't win.      
            Well, one day I received a new visiting teaching partner, named Laurie Nielson and I went to pick her up in the van.  And yes, you guessed it, the van stared acting up again.  I told her that this was a piece of junk, but that the Lord was holding it together until the money for my husband’s new job came in.  She laughed when I told her.  She didn't know very much about our situation and so as we drove I quickly filled her in on our story. 
           The night before, Craig had talked to his boss and the money from the Taiwanese was almost there.  He had received a 20 page fax completing all the paper work and so we knew it would be here any day.  (Or so we thought.  It never came!) But I tell you this for a reason.  I was totally convinced that it would be here.  This was the closest the money had ever come to being here and I BELIEVED (the arm of flesh).  I have heard that the mind is a powerful tool, but I didn't realize how powerful until after this experience.
            We had visit taught our first lady and were on our way to the second.  We drove by a lady's house that I needed to drop off some temple names to.  I pulled the van up into her slanted driveway, jumped out and delivered the names and then jumped back in.  I backed the van out of the drive way and put it into drive.  UUUhhhhhhhh.  It made that sound and would not move. I put it in overdrive and it still wouldn't go.  My companion said that it sounded like the transmission was shot.  She suggested that I back it up again and see if that would break something loose.  So I did.  It went backwards and then I put it in Drive again and nothing.  Instantly I knew what it was!  I turned to her and said, "I told you that the Lord was holding this van together until the money came in, and now it's finally dead."  I was almost positive that the money would be in that day.  And so, I didn't even question what was happening to the van.  I knew he would make good on his promise.  I just didn't know it would be this dramatic!
            I realized that I needed to get it out of the middle of the road before it began falling apart.  So I began backing it up down the street a little to a smoother spot on the side of the rode.  Laurie looked up at me and said, "Hey, do you think you could back this thing up to your house?"  I looked at her with a "hey- what a great idea look" and said, "I think so."  She asked me how far my house was, and I said not really that far.  (I don't know what I was thinking - it was over 2 miles). 
            Anyway that's what we decided to do.  I put the car in reverse and Laurie turned around in the passenger’s seat and navigated.  When I tell this story to people they ask what side of the street I drove on and I say, "The right side, of course!  I am a law abiding citizen!"  It always is followed by hysterical laughs, especially knowing how the story ends. 
            Anyway, the road we were on dead-ended because we were out in the desert area by where we lived and so we had to make several right turns to get back on a paved road.  Now it kind of gets tricky when you think about making a right turn as you are driving backwards.  I had to make 3 left turns which actually turned out to be 3 right turns if I was facing forward.  I know your next question, "Yes, I stopped at every stop sign too!"  Remember - I am a law abiding citizen! 
            I got to where I was really good at driving lickety-split down the right side of the road facing the wrong direction.  You should have seen the expression on people's faces as they drove down our street, TeePee on the right side, only to see a van driving on their left side of the road, but facing the wrong direction!  Talk about stares. 
            Anyway, we finally made it home.  Craig was inside and I ran in and said, "The van has finally died!  I'm late for my next visiting teaching visit.  So I'm going to take the truck."  With that I ran out and got in the truck and Laurie and I drove away.  Craig got his van keys, walked out to the van and turned it on.  Before doing anything else, he bent down and……… TOOK OFF THE EMERGENCY BRAKE!!!!!  He even took it for a test drive - (forward if you're wondering) and it worked just fine!

            Believe me, when I got home, I heard all about it.  I'm sure that this is one that I will never live down.  That night I was at a baby shower and Laurie was there.  I told her what had happened and she died laughing.  There were a bunch of other women around that heard both of us laughing and so they came over to hear.  So, I had to start over from the beginning.  Of course, I add-libbed and really made it into a "good story."  The room was filled with hysterical laughter.  About a half hour later when most everyone was leaving, one of the sisters came up and thanked for me such a good laugh.  She said, "I haven't laughed that hard and long for I don't know how long and I really needed it!"  Laurie asked if she could share the story and I told her to feel free.  Anyone stupid enough to do what I did deserves to be told on.  What a crack up!
            As I left that evening I overheard someone say, "Boy, visiting teaching with her takes on new meaning!"  When I called my companion the next month, she agreed to go again with me.  She said, "Oh, and Michele, I'll drive this time!"  She has gone with me every month since then.  It was a great bonding experience for both of us. 
          I was convinced that the Lord would hold our van together until the money came.  And I was also convinced that the money was there.  And so, two plus two is supposed to make four, but in this case it didn't!  However, the Lord took care of us in his own way, not in the way I had planned."
         Now for the rest of the story.  The van ran for several months after this incident and finally we decided it was time to give it up before it fell apart like I had envisioned.  We gave it to a battered women's organization and hopefully they were able to find a good mechanic and get more years of use out of it.  The money never did come in and after much prayer and fasting, we were able to get a job and move to Prescott, Arizona. 

                               (From the personal journal of Michele Romney Garvin)

1 comment:

  1. Great story Michele.Have not heard that one from or about you.Connie

    ReplyDelete