Thursday, July 12, 2012

Improving on a Perfect Plan?

The other day I was telling Craig that when he and I created our world, I wasn't going to make our children go through so many terrible trials as we do here on this earth.  He looked at me and then quietly said, "So, you're going to improve on a perfect plan huh?"  Enough said!  I was once again humbled.

I just found this quote that hit me square in the eyes and helped me realize again why we all have to go through trials.

        "Is there not wisdom in his giving us trials that we might rise above them, responsibility that we might achieve, work to harden our muscles, sorrows to try our souls?  Are we not exposed to temptations to test our strength, sickness that we might learn patience, death that we might be immortalized and glorified?
           If all the sick for whom we pray were healed, if all the righteous were protected and the wicked destroyed, the whole program of the Father would be annulled and the basic principle of the gospel, free agency, would be ended.  No man would have to live by faith.
           If joy and peace and rewards were instantaneously given the doer of good, there could be no evil - all would do good, but not because of the rightness of doing good.  There would be no test of strength, no development of character, no growth of powers, no free agency, only satanic controls."

                                 (--Spencer W. Kimball, Faith Precedes the Miracle, p. 98)

2 comments:

  1. You probably hear people say all the time how strong and amazing you are. I just wanted to add myself to the group. I sincerely appreciate you sharing your stories and testimony. This is the first time I have read your blog and it gives me peace strangely enough as I'm going through my own little set of trials. Thank you for your example of continuing to smile through hard times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jennie for your kind words. Some days are easier than others, however I do know that God knows each of us. He has a plan for us, and whether it is what we had planned or not, he is there watching over us no matter what! I'm grateful that my experience has given you a little peace to face your own set of trials. Keep the faith!

    ReplyDelete