Sunday, June 3, 2012

"Stories on the Sabbath" - Let's have a BOM Summer!

WHAT WILL I GIVE UP FOR SCRIPTURE STUDY?
The other day I was reading an article in the Meridian Magazine on making scripture study a habit by Joni Hilton.  There was a comment at the bottom by Brother Kay D. Jenkins that has haunted me all week.  Below is his comment.

"You missed the most important reason to read the Book of Mormon daily. Pres. Benson and Elder Oaks told us in a talk by Elder Oaks (D&C 84:54, 55) that we are under a condemnation from God or in other words under a curse if we don't read the Book of Mormon daily. In March 1, 1996 over 15 years ago, I decided to do just that. I started reading 10 chapters a day and found I could read the B.of M. every 24 days cover to cover. 

Then I started reading 30 chapters a day and found I can read it every 8 days. I am on my 564th reading as of today. I also found if I would read 10 chapters in the N.T. I can read it every 26 days and 10 sections of the D&C, I can read it every 16 days. I also experimented with the O.T. only once, by reading 30 chapters a day I can read it every 31 day. At 10 chapters a day I read the B.of  M. in about 35 min. and at 30 chapters a day I can read it in about 1 hr. & 30 min. on average..."

I couldn't believe this and thought that the guy must have no life except for reading.  Actually I hate to admit that I was turned off and about to click out of it until I read Brother Jenkins last statement.  "I had to give up a whole hour of TV watching every night to do this." 


Wow!  All week I kept thinking about how much I need to improve my scripture study and his comment kept haunting me.  I had to ask myself right then, "What am I willing to give up for Scripture Study?" Is it too much for me to sacrifice an hour of tv to grow closer to my Savior?  What are you willing to give up?

Let's have a BOM Summer!

Several years ago I had the experience of reading the Book Of Mormon in a short period of time.  It was one of the greatest experiences of my life.  My husband and I went on a week vacation during our challenge and for the first time while on vacation, we actually read our scriptures every night.  It was a powerful lesson on the importance of being consistent once a goal has been set, and being able to see the fruits of our labors.

No comments:

Post a Comment