Sunday, May 13, 2012

"Stories on the Sabbath" - A Mother's Day Tribute

                                        "Legacy of Service"

The missionaries were asleep in their bedrolls surrounding the Christmas tree.  It was about midnight and my mom was working as fast as she could to get all the presents put under the tree.  On one trip, Mom's arms were overflowing with Christmas presents, one of which was a cast-iron skillet.  She tip-toed into the living room, being ever so careful not to step on any of the elders.  But as she did, she was not aware that she was losing some the presents from off the top.
Thud!  The cast-iron skillet fell.  Quickly, she turned to see where it landed.  She was horrified when she saw it sitting right on top of one of the elder's head!  She bent down and picked up the frying pan, prepared to apologize to him, but he slept on.
Wow!  These elders must have been really tired! she thought as she continued to go about her last minute duties.  Not until the next morning when she was telling us this story did she wonder if he had really slept through it, or if it had knocked him unconscious!  However, she was greatly relieved to see sitting on the couch, a healthy-looking missionary opening some of his presents from home.
We lived in the mission-field and at that time missionaries serving on the reservation were allowed to stay overnight in the members home for special events.  We loved it when the missionaries came.  They brought with them a special spirit that blessed our home.  We also had family, friends and even strangers stay in our home.  I grew up watching love in action as I watched my parents reach out to those in need.  However, our lives were always blessed more than those we served.    

We had chicken every Sunday! People loved to stop by our home because they felt welcome.  Sundays were a time where we all invited anyone we wanted to come over for dinner.  To make sure we had enough food, Mother would make four or five whole chickens on Saturday night.  Many times we fed over twenty-five people on a given Sunday.  After we ate we visited and had some wonderful gospel discussions.  Those who left were fed both emotionally and physically.  In my home, I've continued the tradition of chicken every Sunday, but not to the magnitude of my mother.  Those were special memories that have stirred in me the desire to serve. 
When I was six months old my father was in a serious car accident.  Both of his legs were broken and one ankle was badly crushed.  During the next three years, he was under the doctor's care unable to work.  This was a very humbling experience for him because he had five children and no way to support the family.  My parents did not want to take advantage of the church so during these three long years, my mother went to work and held down three jobs to make ends meet.
Before the accident, Dad had started remodeling our existing home to make it larger.  During his rehabilitation time, he still found ways to work on the house.  He would get a pillow and scoot around on it as he put in the new floor in the living room.  When he needed to stand and hammer, he would prop the crutches up under his arms and they would hold him as he labored.

As the years went on, my mother's physical and emotional health became worse.  Being the sole bread winner and raising a family was beginning to take a toll.  Their bishop was aware of their situation and counseled my mother to quit working and stay at home with her children.  My parents felt they couldn't do this because there wouldn't be any money for food.  My dad was getting a little from workman's compensation, but not enough to feed and clothe the family.  The bishop suggested that the church would provide for their needs, but my parents immediately refused.  They told him they could not accept that without giving something back in return.
A wise bishop went to his stake president to receive counsel concerning my parents.  They went to their area presidency and a decision was made.  The bishop's storehouse which was being housed in a large warehouse was expending too much money on overhead, utilities and storekeeper.  It was suggested that it be closed down and moved into our home.
When the bishop approached my parents, they were truly humbled.  Part of the remodeling my dad had done was to build a very large storage room.  The bishop's storehouse was moved into that new addition and my mother became the storekeeper.  In turn for her work, she could trade in kind.  She was allowed to use any of the food in the store house for our family.  What a miracle!  The Lord had made a way for my mother to stay at home, and still be of service and pay their way.  The bishop's storehouse remained in our home for ten years.
During this same time, a brand new stake center was being built in Flagstaff, Arizona where we lived.  Every member was asked to contribute $350.00 to the building fund.  (That was a large amount of money for anyone during those years, let alone someone who was not working).  My dad hadn't been released from the doctor's care, but still felt like he wanted to do his share.  He asked if there was some way he could work off his assessment.  The leaders agreed and soon my dad began helping to build the stake center.  He was not as fast as the others, but his work was just as good. 

At the end of each week, he was paid by check for the hours that he had put in.  He could pull out enough money to pay part of the assessment and then take the rest home to his family.  However, my dad wouldn't think of it.  As he received each and every check he would turn it over, sign his name and endorse it back to the church.  When the building was finally complete, my dad had signed over three thousand dollars to the church for his part in up building the Kingdom of God.
I've often pondered this experience.  Why, considering my parent's financial situation, didn't they use the rest of the money for themselves?  There was over two thousand, six hundred dollars they had not been required to give.   Since then I've realized that we are always in debt to the Lord.  In Mosiah 2: 23-24 it further explains: "And now, in the first place he hath created you, and granted unto you your lives, for which ye are indebted unto him.  And secondly, he doth require that ye should do as he hath commanded you for which if ye do, he doth immediately bless you; and therefore he hath paid you.  And ye are still indebted unto him, and are, and will be forever and ever; therefore, of what have ye to boast?"
Just at the time we think we might have caught up with what the Lord has given us, He gives us more.  We will never reach the break-even point.  My parents example has shown me how important it is to not only do that which you are compelled to do, but to go the extra mile and do that which is not required.
Through the years my parents, Pearl Tenney and George Lee Romney have left a "Legacy of Service" in the lives of each of their children and grandchildren.  There is not a day in my life that goes by that I am not influenced by this great legacy.  Hanging on the wall in each of our homes is our family motto found in Joshua 24:15.  "Choose you this day whom ye will serve; but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."  My parents truly lived what they taught.

                                                                            --Michele R. Garvin, daughter of
              Pearl Tenney and George Lee Romney
                         (Out of Small Things)
       
My father passed away in 2003, but my dear mother still is living a full life of service at age 88!  Happy Mother's Day Mom - I love you!

3 comments:

  1. Aunt Michele,

    I feel so blessed to have such wonderful grandparents! Have a wonderful Mothers Day!

    Love,
    Melani

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am surprised that I dind't know that story about the church storehouse being moved into your home. That is something that wouldn't happen today but such a neat thing for your family. What wonderful examples Grandma and Grandpa have been to us all. I feel so lucky that I had such wonderful grandparents and even more grateful that my kids have wonderful greatgrandparents AND grandparents too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading this! Grandma and Grandpa are such amazing examples and we are so lucky have them as Grandparents. They have definitely influenced all of our lives for the better! I love that the family motto scripture is now one of Natalie's favorites too!

    ReplyDelete