Sunday, March 11, 2012

"Stories on the Sabbath"

                                     Anna’s Mission

“We think your daughter has what is called ‘Down Syndrome’,” the doctor said to me as calmly as he could.  I remember thinking that I had heard this phrase before, and I was fully aware that it had to do with retardation.  But my reaction was surprising to me. 
“I’d like to know everything I can about this condition,” I said as I questioned the doctor.  After a short, but informative discussion with the pediatrician, I was left alone to myself.  It was then that I realized I needed to call and share this news with my husband, Kenny.
Anna Elizabeth Stewart had been born on December 13, 1980 almost two weeks before Christmas (when her actual “due” date had been) and brought a great deal of excitement into our home.  She was our third child, having one older brother and sister.  We lived in the Las Vegas West Stake at the time, which now makes up three different stakes.  Because of the rapid growth in this area, our ward was filled with young families with babies being born left and right.  But strangely enough, Anna was the first handicapped child born into our area.  So this experience was “new” for just about everyone we knew.
When Anna was born, I remember thinking how much she looked like her older sister Valerie and how beautiful she was.  To this day, her baby picture is the prettiest of all the kids!  After she was born, the nurse had whisked her away very quickly.  I remember thinking that this was a bit odd, but I was so tired I figured I would see her later.  Besides, the doctor and nurse never indicated that there might be anything wrong.  When my pediatrician finally came in to talk to me about Anna’s condition, all the hubbub had subsided and my husband  had already gone home for the evening. 
My previous conversation with the doctor lingered in my mind, and my hands began to shake as I dialed the phone.  I wondered how Kenny would react to the news.  When he answered, my voice began to shake.
“Kenny, the doctor just left and he said that Anna has Down Syndrome.”  I tried to break the news to him as “in control” as I could, but I must not have sounded very good because of his next response.
“I’ll be right there, Diann,” he immediately replied.
“Honey, there isn’t anything you can do tonight.  I will be all right.”
But he insisted.  “I’m coming down anyway.”
It’s the first time I ever remember seeing him cry.  With his head in my lap, we cried together, and then he shared his feelings with me.
“I’m not crying because Anna is retarded or handicapped.  I just don’t ever want any of my children to not have the same advantages that the others have.” 
So right then and there we decided that Anna would not be treated any different than our other children, if at all possible. 
As the years went on, Anna began to grow and progress.  We were amazed at the ability she had to keep up with our other children.  In fact, she was every bit as coordinated as any normal child.  When we enrolled her in a special school for Down Syndrome children, the teacher’s sat back in amazement.  These types of children are usually born to older couples with no other siblings.  The children that they usually had at their schools, were very apprehensive to try anything.
One day after Anna had started school there, they brought out a mini-trampoline.  The teacher began talking to the children about what they would be doing on the tramp.  Fear filled each of the other children’s eyes, but not Anna’s.  She jumped up with excitement and ran over to the tramp and began jumping vigorously.  With smiles on the children’s faces, they followed in her footsteps.  Numerous times throughout the years,  Anna’s teacher have commented on what a valuable asset she is to their school.  Because of having been raised in a normal home like a normal child, Anna has had an incredible effect on all of the other children in the school.  Her service to them has been immeasurable.
In looking back, I don’t ever remember feeling like I didn’t want Anna.  She was so beautiful, and so tiny - weighing only 5 lbs. 15 oz.- and we both loved her instantly.  Before we left the hospital Kenny and his father, Delbert Stewart, came down to the hospital.  Standing by the side of the hospital bed, I watched as these two huge men took that sweet little angel in their massive hands, and gave her a priesthood blessing.  It was one of the most precious experiences I have ever witnessed.  I have been pretty much at peace with the whole situation ever since.
The support we received from family was tremendous.  Everyone we phoned or spoke with was so sweet and seemed to have nothing but positive advice and counsel for us.  Even the hospital was supportive - because the morning after Anna was born I had visitors from the hospital who offered advice and counsel.  They gave me information about the Down Syndrome Organization of Southern Nevada, and names and phone numbers of people I could call for help that was very helpful later.  I was even visited by a mother of a Down Syndrome child, who just came to answer any question I might have concerning Anna.  That was so wonderful to be able to confide in another woman who had experienced some of the same things I would be going through.

I was also amazed at the support I received from the members of our ward.  I would venture to say that we received more gifts for Anna than we had at either of the baby showers for our other two children.  But at the same time, everyone’s reactions were guarded and hesitant.  While they were comfortable in showering us with gifts, it was almost as if the were uncomfortable around the baby and seemed  paralyzed as to how to express their feelings.  After a while I began to notice that people would stammer and not really know what to say.  I finally decided I needed to do something about it, because I didn’t want everyone to be so uneasy and nervous around us.
When fast and testimony rolled around the next time,  I walked up to the pulpit to share my feelings.  With all eyes on me, I began.
“Brothers and Sisters, we have been overwhelmed with the outpouring of love we have received during these last few weeks.  We appreciate all the meals and the gifts that you have given us and we want you to know how much each of these gestures have meant to us.”
I could see the usual smiles on everyone’s faces, but underneath I still detected the fear they had of not  knowing what to say.  So I continued.
“Ken and I want each of you to know how excited we are to have Anna in our home.  We love her just as much as we love our other two children and we are so pleased that she has come to join our family.  Please come up and look at her, just like you would any other baby.  She is beautiful!  I also hope that you would feel free to ask any questions you might have about her.  Please dote over her with me, because I certainly would with you.”
As I walked down the isle to my seat, I felt a sense of relief from the members of the ward.  Because of their ignorance on this subject, they had not known how to share in our joy.  Well, that was the ice breaker.  After that we were flooded with well-wishers and everyone was so wonderful and attentive to Anna.  The difference was like night and day.  So many people expressed their thanks for my candidness.  They admitted that they hadn’t known what to say and they were grateful that I had broken the ice for them.  It was the turning point for most everyone in our ward and the service and love they rendered to Anna has never stopped.
We have felt so blessed to have Anna in our home and have learned so much as each year passes.  Her presence has been such a blessing and growing experience to us.  As the years go on, we are still amazed at how sweet everyone is to her.  We can’t count the times when we had someone bring her to us because she had walked in on another sacrament meeting and brightened everyone’s day by walking up on the stage and running from whomever tried to get her - then laughing as she was carried out - with us thinking she was in her class all the while.  The sacrifices of others who agreed to be her teacher in Primary on a one-on-one basis, and who tried to learn about her so she would be edified.  The family and friends who have given so much of their time and patience to her and our family will be forever appreciated.

  We can hardly wait as we envision the day we will be able to talk and visit with Anna in the hereafter when she is not handicapped any longer.  Even her three sisters and two brothers are all excited and look forward to the choice experience this will be.  Anna has taught each of us how to serve, but more importantly, she instead has served us.  Her unconditional love and Christlike faith she has in everyone has certainly been an example for us to follow.   The simple fact that Anna is a candidate of the Celestial Kingdom gives us all something to look forward to.  Because we all want to be where she already has the assurance of going, we try and pattern our lives after her Christlike love and service, so that we can live together in the presence of our Heavenly Father.  I firmly believe that it was Anna’s mission to come down to earth and teach others how to serve.

          
                           --Diann Stewart, recently released as Relief Society President, when 
                                                                    husband was made Bishop
                                                                   (By Small & Simple Things)

No comments:

Post a Comment