Thursday, March 8, 2012

I've lost something.......my eyebrows!

This last week has been long and I'm glad it's over.  I was sick and dizzy for a full 7 days.  When I am really sick, I don't bother to do my make-up or even wear a wig or scarf.  I just wear a beanie and my kids call me their "homeless mom".  Yes, I have to admit that I do look pretty terrible.  But this last week as I would look in the mirror, I would think, "Wow Michele, you look worse than normal!"  I couldn't put my finger on why I looked extra bad, until Tauna came to visit and said, "Mom, there are eyelashes all over your face."  Then she looked and again and said, "and your eyebrows are almost gone too."  So that was it huh?! 

So I decided to go check myself out in the mirror, but this time I decided to put my glasses on.  WOW!  That was scary!  It's so amazing how a person's face almost goes away without hair, eyebrows and eyelashes.  Here I am with my newly painted on eyebrows and eyelashes and part of my bald head. (Don't look too close, I'm still learning). I try to start drawing on my brows, but I can't see without my glasses.  So I put my glasses on and try and draw, but my glasses on in the way!  Ugh. I can tell that I am going to need a lot of practice!

I knew that losing my eyebrows and eyelashes were the next step, but I wasn't sure when it would happen.  I guess I'm going to have to get used to this process for quite awhile.  I was reading on a lady's blog where she said that even after chemo her eyebrows and eyelashes fell out again.  Oh great!  Below are a few of her comments from her blog:

"As you all know I had the chemo and in the process lost all my hair, eyebrows, eyelashes etc. Then within 3 months of finishing the treatment they had grown back. Well, it's now 5 months since I finished chemo and my eyebrows and eyelashes are falling out all over again! At first when a few of each fell out I hoped it was just some freaky coincidence and that would be the end of it. However it's now a week later, and they are both still coming out in large numbers. So, having had no indication from the hospital that the chemo could cause this reaction months after finishing treatment, I turned to the internet to see if anyone else out there has experienced a similar thing. And yes, it turns out that this can be a side-effect, and that for several years after chemotherapy your eyelashes and eyebrows can continue to fall out cyclically. I couldn't believe it! Let this be a warning for anyone who has treatment, or knows someone who is - eyelashes and eyebrows may not be as permanent as you expect when they grow back after finishing chemotherapy! However, I'm prepared now that anything new that grows may well be falling out again in just a few months time..."

So it should be interesting to see what happens with me.  Oh well, I guess you win some and you LOSE some!!!!

2 comments:

  1. I think you are becoming quite the 'painter'! Cassidy just saw this picture and said "That's Grandma. Her have no hair!" So I guess that means you're still recogoizable. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness my grandchildren will still love me no matter what I look like!

    ReplyDelete