Friday, February 24, 2012

What's Next?

Tuesday afternoon I realized that my neuropathy was not getting any better, actually it seemed almost worse.  So I called my doctor and talked to them and let them know how I was feeling.  We decided that I wouldn't need to go see them on Wednesday.  So Craig and I decided to enjoy the day.  We started out by going to the temple, then to the library and then out to lunch.  Afterwards we went clearance shopping and found an amazing deal on snow boots.  Then we ended the day by going to the dollar movie!  What an amazing day we had together.  It's not very often that I have enough energy to do many fun things and so this was really special.  I am continually amazed at how unselfish Craig is and how willing he continues to be to miss out on fun things just to be by my side.  I'm so lucky to have him in my life, not only now but for eternity!

So what is next?  Since it's been 3 weeks, I have to start chemo again next Wednesday no matter what, but I will be changing from taking Taxol to taking Taxotere. The clinical trial that I have been on was a weekly thing and it was trying to prove the effectiveness of giving lower doses of Taxol every week.  Since Taxol is the drug that is causing my neuropathy to be so bad, I can no longer continue on the trial.  I now only have 2 treatments of chemo left instead of 6.  Since  I won't be going every week, I will have 3 weeks between treatments.  However, the other part of the trial was getting to take the experimental drug called Avastin which has been shown in other cancer's to prolong cancer from returning so soon.  The good thing is that I will still be able to take Avastin now and  then once my treatments are over, I will still be able to receive Avastin every 3 weeks for as long as my cancer does not return.  

No comments:

Post a Comment