Sunday, February 19, 2012

"Stories on the Sabbath"

                                                                Pass it On!

We cautiously watched from our camp, but they didn’t know we were watching.  The older man in the camp next to us was swearing and becoming angrier by the minute. All of a sudden he started throwing rocks at his car.  Then in his height of anger, he picked up a large boulder and threw it at the back windshield.  Shattered glass sprayed everywhere.  It was a horrible scene. 
It was September 1995, when our family finally found time to get away from the busy pressures of everyday life.  The summer had been packed with work and commitments for everyone.  It was an especially needed break for my husband, Mark.  He hadn't had a moment's rest up until that weekend.  This was the only day that he would be able to go to the Lake and he had been looking forward to the peace and relaxation it would bring. 
We had settled ourselves in to one of the picnic areas in Boxcar Cove at Lake Mead and had been enjoying ourselves swimming.  We were starting to eat when the people next to us began packing up and getting ready to leave.  They were in a low-rider car and as they tried to drive out of the sand, it became apparent that they would not be going anywhere.  They were stuck! 
There were two men, one older than the other, two women and  two small children in their group.  My heart went out to them for the plight they were in.  From their actions they must have been feeling just like I felt.  They had no idea how to get out!  The more they tried to free themselves from their sand trap, the further their car became buried.  It was apparent that they didn't know what to do.
I had watched in horror as the husband picked up the large rock.  Surely he wouldn't throw it I had thought.  But when it was released from his hands and glass sprayed everywhere, I knew he was at his wits end.  I felt totally unnerved as I watched the women and children helplessly crying.  They needed someone's help, but who would dare?
I heard a noise and turned just in time to see my husband walking from behind our car towards the man.  My first instinct was fear!  I wanted to run and stop him from getting any closer but it was too late.  I wanted to get as far away from that man as possible, and now my husband was rapidly approaching him.  Strangely enough, as Mark got closer, my fear left and I wasn't afraid for him anymore.
"Looks like you could use an extra hand,” Mark said calmly.  "I think I can help you get your car out."
The man was still very angry.  He didn't want to talk to anyone at all.  Mark stood there for a few minutes and then began digging the car out with his hands and a crow hammer.  It was sunken to the point that the frame was flat on the ground-tires completely buried.  As Mark dug around the tires, the younger man came over and helped.  They jacked the car up and pushed the car off the jacks onto harder ground.  Finally the older man calmed down enough and began helping.  Together, they all pushed the car until it was far enough away from the holes to be safe.  Then Mark explained to him how to back out so they would not get stuck again.
As they got into their car to leave they thanked Mark.  The husband had calmed down and the wife truly appreciated Mark coming to their aide.  I wanted them to know that we were Mormons, so they'd know that we were good people.  But Mark didn't think it was necessary to tell them.  I later realized why; he had already shown them! 
"Thanks so much for helping us out of this awkward situation," they said.  "We'd like to repay you some way."
"Hey, I was happy to help," Mark said honestly.  "Maybe when you see someone in need, you could pretend it was me and help them instead.  They in turn could repeat the gesture and the good deed would continually be passed on."
After they left I asked my husband, "How did you know what to do?" 
"I didn't have a clue!" he said just as bewildered as I was.  "They had that car so buried, I didn't think anything would work." 
"Then how in the world did you figure out how to get it out?"
"It wasn't me!"  Mark said as he stared at me and then shook his head.
"He was really upset wasn't he?"  I commented as I remembered the shattered windshield.
"That's why I had to do something," Mark said.  "I just couldn't stand by and watch without trying to help.  I knew I had to act calm, like I knew what I was doing so the guy would calm down too.  Then I started to work.  I immediately began praying, asking God to help me.  I knew he would show me what to do.  And he did!"
I was touched by the experience that had just happened.  But more importantly, I was moved by the lesson my husband had taught me.  This was the only day all summer he would have time to go to the Lake and I marveled watching him spend half of it trying to get a stranger's car out of the sand.
"You cannot lift another soul," President Lee once said, "until you are standing on higher ground than he is.  You must be sure, if you would rescue the man, that you yourself are setting the example of what you would have him be.  You cannot light a fire in another soul unless it is burning in your own soul."
 That day, a hole of gratitude was burned in my heart for the man of God that I had married.  I stood in awe as I watched my husband the rest of the day.  What an example of Christ like love he had been to all of us there.  I knew his nature was kind, for I'd seen him serve many a co-worker, neighbor, member of the church and family member.  I had even seen him serve strangers before.  But out at the lake sacrificing his own relaxation, reminded me of the widow’s mite.  He didn't have much spare time to give, but he gave even the little he had.  That day I recognized the higher ground on which he was standing as he reached down to serve someone in need.

                                                                     --Patty Edgel, mother of six
(Out of Small Things)

1 comment:

  1. Aunt Michele,

    I am so happy that you are feeling so well, and that you had such a wonderful weekend with some of your family.

    Thanks so much for sharing such a great story. It really touched me. This is how Bryce is, and I am always in awe of his great example to me.

    Love,
    Melani

    ReplyDelete