Thursday, November 24, 2011

Have a Gratitutde Attitude

Today was a beautiful Thanksgiving Day.  I had my second round of chemo on Wednesday and I felt good enough to go to Amy & Steve's house in Lehi for Thanksgiving.  It was a glorious day to spend with 3 of our 5 children.  We are so blessed to have such wonderful, loving, unselfish children.  In my kitchen there is this placque that says what I feel:  "The best things in life aren't things!"  That is so true.  I love Thanksgiving time and years ago I read a story that I think about every year.  I don't know who wrote it, but it helps me start having a gratitude attitude like I should. 

"Several years ago I felt that, despite all my efforts, I simply wasn't feeling happy.  I was trying my best to live righteously, but it didn't seem to be paying off.  As I would go to bed each evening, I would plead with my Heavenly Father to lift my feelings of discouragement.  But upon my awakening each morning, many burdens continued to weigh upon me.  I thought perhaps I wouldn't ever feel joyful again.

One evening as I began my familiar "please help-me-feel-happy" prayer, a strong impression prompted me to quit asking for things and instead to offer thanks.  The Spirit distinctly directed me to begin to thank Heavenly Father for each one of my blessings.  I followed the prompting and slowly began to name my blessings, one at a time.

 I was very specific.  I began to express thanks for the people I love, mentioning each by name.  Every one of them!  I told the Lord why they were a blessing to me.  I went back as far as my memory would allow and expressed thanks for things that happened in elementary school.  I told Father in Heaven how thankful I was that Mrs. Naylor was my third grade teacher.  I was reminded of those wonderful feelings I had as she taught me to love books.  I thanked him for the Primary music leader who taught me to love to sing.  My mind raced through years of pleasant memories.  I began thanking Heavenly Father for everything that was going right with each one of my children.  Gratitude for countless blessings poured out of my soul.  As the Spirit directed me in that prayer of thanksgiving, the list of blessings grew longer and longer.  Once-forgotten memories filled my soul with light and love. About two in the morning I awoke.  I was still kneeling by the side of my bed.  I had fallen asleep while offering a prayer of gratitude. 
Recollections of blessings continued to flow into my mind.  Peacefully I climbed into bed.
When I arose that morning, things looked different to me.  The cloud was lifted.  I recognized the hand of the Lord in my life and I was truly grateful.  Blessings that I had so often taken for granted flooded my heart.  Events fell into perspective.  My vision ceased to focus o the few things that were going wrong and transferred to the myriad of things that were going right.   A feeling of joy washed over me, and I began seeing "things as they really are."  I realized the abundance of blessings that had always been there; blessings that outweighed the burdens!  Gratitude had literally healed my soul, and I felt happy once again."

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

2 comments:

  1. Aunt Michele that was so beautiful and true. Thanks so much for sharing with all of us. I cried as I read this. What would we do without family?! As my little family sat at our table sharing what we were thankful I cried as my teenage son expressed his gratitude for us. We love you! We continue to pray for both your comfort and peace. I am so grateful that you were also blessed with such incredible spirits to be your children. That is how I feel about mine.

    Love,
    Melani

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you so much michelle for inviting me to share your experiences I have found this message particularly poinient as this is the same promptings I've been having ... it reminds me of Jan 2012 home teaching message Attitude, Belief and courage. Thank you for sharing xx Penny @ aimingtobeawellroundedwoman

    ReplyDelete