Saturday, November 5, 2011

First Night Home - (Craig dictating to Michele)

What an absolutely terrible night!   Without going through the gorey details...suffice it to say that the bathroom and I became BFF's last night. It started out first every two hours and then rapidly progressed to every hour. It's amazing what you use your abdomen muscles for! I found out very quickly that having 5 hole's poked through your abdomen do not go well with throwing up. So far today things haven't been going any better. I'm really concerned about the amount of fluids I'm losing. We called the doctor and he said to start drinking Gatorade to get the electrolites back in my body. We called my wife's sweet visiting teacher and she brought us a good selection to choose from.

As I sat in a chair last night, I could see a book entitled, "Trust in the Lord".  My mind went back to the scripture found in Proverbs 3:5.  "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not to thine own understanding.  In all thy ways acknowledge him and he shall direct thy paths".  Both Michele and I thought we should each have the surgeries that we had. As it turned out, we both had more cancer than we or the doctors knew.  Before I was diagnosed with cancer, the last thing I wanted was to have surgery. There were several other options I could take and I thought that any of them would be better than surgery. However, once I was diagnosed with cancer, the only option from that point on was surgery! We checked out other options, but I kept having the peaceful feeling that surgery was the right way to go.

Before general conference, my wife and I made up a list of questions to pray about that we might receive answers to those questions through general conference talks. One of the things we wanted to know was to see if we were walking in the path that the Lord wanted us to. After the results from our surgery, I can say at least in this trial, we feel confident that we are doing what the Lord wanted us to do. I know that we have many struggles ahead, with side effects from both my surgery and the chemo that Michele will have, but I know we are doing what the Lord wants us to do - "and that makes all the difference."  (Robert Frost).

Another one of my favorite scriptures that has been going through my mind as I am lying here, is
Isaiah 55:8-9 "For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts."  We don't know why we have this trial, but if we do what the Lord wants us to do, we will get back to His presence and that is our ultimate goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment