Sunday, September 2, 2012

"Stories on the Sabbath"

                                             "The Value of the Articles of Faith"

When I was 12 years old I went to visit my favorite cousin Marleen up in Reno, Nevada.   I rode with my Aunt Michele to Las Vegas and then she put me on a Greyhound bus to ride the rest of the way up to Reno.  On the bus I sat next to an older person (grandma or grandpa) to this day I think it was a grandma.  I started reading the Book of Mormon.  She asked what book I was reading and I told her.  I told her it was a religious book like the Bible and that I was a Mormon.  She asked me what do the Mormons believe in. 

Well…I proceeded to recite to her the 13 articles of faith.  I had them memorized because I had just completed my Faith In God Program in order to Graduate from Primary.  It was so easy to recite them to her and they answered all of her questions.  I was so grateful I had memorized them.

Fast Forward 20 years….I’m sitting in Tucson, AZ at a World Wide Training Broadcast. At the end of the Broadcast, President Monson shares a letter he had recently received about someone’s conversion due to a young girl reciting to them the articles of faith. 

Pres. Monson said the person writing the letter said a young girl rode with her on a bus as she was on her way to visit her Aunt in Reno, Nevada.  This person now knows that the girl was reciting to her the articles of faith.  The older woman was so impressed at the conviction that this young girl had about her faith at such a young age and proceeded to look up the church after their bus ride.  A few years later she was baptized along with many members of her family.  Little did this young girl realize that she was sharing her testimony as she shared her beliefs and convictions, nor did she realize the eternal difference this meeting had on the life of the woman and her children and many other family members. 

True story written by my niece Sharee Jackson Williams

1 comment:

  1. Aunt Michele,

    That is so AMAZING! I am going to share this story with my family tonight, so that they can see how important that one person can be.

    We love you,
    Melani :)

    ReplyDelete