Sunday, April 22, 2012

“Stories on the Sabbath” - The Trough

                 "'We believe in the literal gathering of Israel and in the res-t-tution . . . ?' Oh brother, I will never get this one," he said with such discouragement. "I have all the rest of the Articles of Faith memorized, but I keep messing up on this one!"
                   "Come on, Kevin," I coached, "just a few more lines and you'll have them all memorized."

                   I had recently been called to be the Blazer A teacher in Primary. There were about six boys in my class, ranging in age from ten to eleven, and the bishop had challenged each of them to memorize the Articles of Faith. As an incentive, he told the boys that all who reached this goal would be treated to an "unforgettable ice cream experience" at the well-known Farrell's Ice Cream Parlor. The boys were thrilled! He knew the love boys have for food at this age. What an effective way to get them motivated!
                  I had a very normal class of boys for this age. They were very physical and rowdy at times, and it was often a challenge to get through a complete lesson and have them listen. Kevin was somewhat different from the rest, however. He was quiet and pensive at times, but I could always count on him to listen.
                    As I got to know Kevin's family, I realized that all of them seemed to be quiet. They had been through many trials, including poverty, and Kevin's father had been out of the country for a while trying to find work that he felt might be promising. The rest of the family was left to more or less fend for themselves. Kevin's mother was devoted to living the gospel and did the best she could to raise a large family on very little income.
                   Finally the appointed day arrived. Four out of the six boys had memorized all 13 Articles of Faith. They were excited and very pleased that they had reached this goal. The bishop gave each of them a gift certificate to be spent at this wonderful ice cream parlor. Because of another commitment, the bishop was unable to go and asked me if I would take the boys.
                   I loaded the boys into my car, and we started out on this long-awaited outing. On the way over, several of them began bragging about how they were going to order the biggest, most grandiose item on the menu, and one of them said he was going to eat so much ice cream that they would have to roll him out. All wanted to go for the "Trough," which was the biggest, gooiest ice cream sundae on the menu.

         
                    As the boys were ordering, my eyes were drawn to Kevin. Though he was as excited as the other boys, he hadn't said much. I was sitting across the table from him and watched him going up and down the menu, studying it over and over. I didn't know what he was looking for.
                    Near the exit of the ice cream parlor was a large candy counter. It had racks and barrels filled with candy. Some of the boys had brought money to spend in addition to the gift certificate from the bishop. They were intrigued by all that candy, and while waiting for their ice cream, decided to check it out. After they had left, Kevin leaned over to me and said, "Brother Garvin, I can't seem to find an ice cream cone on the menu. Don't they serve them here?" I looked and couldn't find one either, so I told him I would ask the waitress when she came over. They did have cones, but they weren't listed on the menu. Kevin found out that a cone would cost about half the amount he had on his gift certificate. He asked for one--the least expensive thing he could order! I didn't think much about it at the time. 
                                                    
                     Meanwhile, the other boys came back and their orders arrived. They were engrossed in eating their ice cream and getting it all over themselves and the table. Kevin was working very slowly on his cone. When we had finished and were getting ready to leave, the other boys headed out, but this sweet young man stayed behind.
                    It wasn't until then that I realized why he had ordered the cheapest thing on the menu. Previously I had thought he might be saving money for another trip to Farrell's. But as we started leaving, he said, "Brother Garvin, could you please come over here and help me?" He was going through the different kinds of candy and I now thought, "This is why he saved the money! So he could get himself some candy!" Then he asked, "Do you think my little sisters would like this kind or this kind? And do you think my little brother
would like this one?"
                                                       Barrels%20of%20candy_P1040285
                    Now I knew the real reason. He had ordered only a cone so that he would have the money to buy his little brother and sisters some candy. I was so touched by his thoughtfulness that I almost wept right there. At an age when boys are most interested in more food and more things, he was more interested in giving his brother and sisters the opportunity to enjoy a special treat too! He could have ordered a far larger ice cream treat, but ordered the smallest in order to be able to share!
                   I have seen many acts of service and sacrifice, but none to equal that of this young man. Every time I think of Kevin and what he taught me, I am inspired by his example of Christ like love for his brother and sisters. And I am prompted to go and do likewise.

                                                                   ---Bishop Kirk S. Garvin, serves as Stake President
                                                            (By Small And Simple Things - Michele Romney Garvin)

No comments:

Post a Comment