Sunday, March 25, 2012

"Stories on the Sabbath" - Calling for New Stories!

This week for "Stories on the Sabbath", I have decided to invite you to be a part of my next book.   For those of you who don't know, I have had two books published in the past (see side bar of blog).  Last August during BYU Education week, I met with a new publisher and talked to her about re-publishing my old books.  After meeting with their board, we have decided that we may use some of my old stories,  but they would also like me to find new stories.  As we discussed this, we felt like we wanted to go with a "current" theme that would catch people's attention, such as inspiring stories involved with modern technology and other social networksAt this point we are not sure what direction the book will take, but we wanted to try and see if we could find enough stories to follow this theme. 
In 1948, the most common way for people to get news was through newspapers and radio.  How different the world is today. For many of you, if you read newspapers, the chances are you read them on the Internet. Ours is the world of cyberspace, cell phones that capture video, video and music downloads, social networks, (facebook, twitter, youtube) text messaging and blogs, handhelds and podcasts.
CALLING FOR STORIES... If you  or anyone you know, have had any uplifting or faith promoting experience that has resulted from the internet, facebook, blogs, emails, or any other modern technology, I would like to talk with you about your story and possibly have it published in my next book.  Please email me at micheleromneygarvin@gmail.com or call me at 928-899-3994.
Thanks,
Michele
(Read below for more detailed information)
Members who share their testimonies through the Internet are realizing they can make a difference, one conversation at a time.  You have a great opportunity to be a powerful force for good in the world. There is truth in the old adage that "the pen is mightier than the sword."  In many cases it is with words that you will accomplish the great things that you set out to do. Today we have a modern equivalent of the printing press in the Internet. The Internet allows everyone to be a publisher, to have his or her voice heard, and it is revolutionizing society.   (These are the types of stories that I am looking for in my new book.  It can be something you have done to inspire someone, or if someone has inspired you through modern technology.  It doesn't have to be specifically realated to sharing the gospel, but something you learned through modern technology that has helped change your life or the lives of others for good.  I am looking for stories that are solid and will inspire others for good.  Other stories that might be considred are health related challenges, online dating, geneoloogy, prayer and the holy ghost).
Here is an example of how someone’s personal blog has had an effect on others.  
Lisa Caress of California has always used her blog as a journal and family history record, but she has also begun using it as a method to join the conversation by talking about what the Church means in her day-to-day life. One night at a meeting at her children's school, she and several other women were assembling baskets for a school event when their conversation turned to Lisa's blog.
"One of the women mentioned how much she loved reading my blog because it gave her so many insights about our church," Lisa says. "Three other women chimed in and started practically quoting passages from my blog. They were all fascinated by my post about the April 2008 general conference. I froze in my tracks as I quickly tried to recall what I had written. They asked me about how new prophets were chosen and what a Solemn Assembly was. They wanted to know about Elder Jeffrey R. Holland's talk 2 and continuing revelation and about Elder M. Russell Ballard's talk 3 and the Church's views on women."
Lisa was surprised by the effect of her small effort, but what surprised her even more, she says, is how respectful and gracious the women were. "They acted like I was doing them a favor by answering their questions." From this experience, Lisa learned the effect that sharing her testimony and her day-to-day experiences as a member of the Church can have. This opened the door for her to answer further questions and share her testimony at the request of her friends. "You never know who is reading," Lisa says. "But truth and sincerity will win the day."

No comments:

Post a Comment